So many of us are on a journey of getting out of debt, investing and saving so that some day we can get to the point where we have wealth. The question is, why do we want to build that wealth? Are we building wealth just for wealth's sake, or do we have goals to use it to help others? Is giving a component of why we're building our wealth?
In my opinion giving to others is of the best reasons to build wealth. You always get back more than you give!
Generous People Are More Prosperous
There is a common misconception that in order to get wealthy you have to be stingy, and not be very giving.
In reality, it doesn't work that way, generous people tend to be more prosperous. The reason? Giving to others makes you less selfish, and less selfish people have more of a tendency to do better in both relationships and in wealth building.
On his website, financial guru Dave Ramsey addresses the concept, and gives the example of holding onto your money with a clenched fist. When you hold onto your money tightly, it won't get away, but you also can't receive anything new into your hand either.
The idea of holding money with an open hand might seem to violate common sense. We feel that if we don’t hold on tightly to our money and our relationships, they will slip away. I’m not saying literally hold your money with an open hand – it represents our attitude toward money. When you give, you open yourself up. You allow the dollars to leave and the freedom to enter.
Giving works because it is in your personal blueprint to be a giver, and you unleash good things in your life that you will never see until you learn the art of unselfish giving. Giving lifts us out of ourselves; we take our eyes off our rights, our problems, and our stuff. The new view gives us renewed vision and hope. Giving is powerful. – Dave Ramsey
So once you've reached the point where you have all your debts paid, and you're blessed enough to be building surplus wealth, do yourself a favor, and start giving to others. You'll be surprised at how freeing and wonderful it can be! Not only will you be giving blessings to others, but you'll be receiving blessings in return (and not always in a monetary sense).
There are men who gain from their wealth only the fear of losing it. – Antoine Riverolli
Surplus wealth is a sacred trust to be managed for the good of others. – Andrew Carnegie
Reasons Why We Should Give
When you talk about giving, there are a lot of good reasons why we should do it. Here are a few:
- As a Christian, I believe that everything is God's, and as a result, we are only stewards of everything we have. Psalm 24:1 says “The earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof”. We need to be good managers of what we've been given, using it for the good of others. The fact that that the money is someone else's (God) make's it easier to give away too, doesn't it?
- Giving makes us less selfish people. Giving makes us more Christ-like.
- We are designed in God's image, and because of that we are happiest when we are serving and giving. Ever notice how fulfilling it is to serve others?
- Giving can be praise and worship in which we show our gratitude to God for everything he has given us.
Get Creative About Giving!
When you're giving, you don't always have to wait until your financially secure because giving doesn't have to be related to money. There are a lot of ways you can give of yourself and your time that are just as valuable. Here are some ways that you can give, both with money, and without!
- Help a single mother buy groceries or pay a couple of bills.
- Volunteer time at your church serving others.
- Give an extra large tip to a waiter or waitress.
- Spend time with people at a local nursing home, talking and listening to them, playing music for them or just playing games with them.
- Pay for someone's meal behind you in line at the fast food restaurant.
- Serve meals at a local food shelf, and eat with them when you're done serving.
- Give to a local charity.
Those are just a few ways you can help. Your own giving is only limited by your creativity. So get started!
What are some creative ways that you've given to others around you. How does giving make you feel? Let us know in the comments!