One thing that I have aimed to do over the past couple of years is to make this site a place where people could come to get solid financial advice in order to help them get back on track, pay off debt and start building wealth. I've done that by writing about budgets, plans for getting out of debt, and ways to get started investing once you were back on solid financial ground.
I still remember the day that we paid off our last non mortgage debt. We wrote that final check for my student loan by sending in a check for around $1500. It was such an amazing feeling to have finally paid off that last debt. We felt so free. We had so many more options now that the debts were gone!
If you're reading this and you haven't been able to dump your debt yet, I hope you're able to buckle down, get “gazelle intense” as Dave Ramsey would say, and start paying everything off. Whether you have to do it by getting a second job or taking on extra shifts at work, you can pay off your debts too!
We'd like to help you get a jump start on your Debt Reduction plan, and that's part of the reason for today's Giveaway, sponsored by Perkstreet Financial.
Dumping Debt & Building Wealth Giveaway
Perkstreet Financial wants to help you get out of debt, and part of their corporate philosophy is helping people not to take on new debt from credit cards (especially those tricky rewards credit cards). Instead they'll help you earn cash rewards spending money you need to spend anyway!
Perkstreet is sponsoring 4 great prizes for this giveaway – all tailored to the theme of getting out of debt and prospering financially:
- Dave Ramsey Starter Kit ($101.75 value): From the Ramsey website: If you're just starting with Dave's principles, this is a great way to get immersed in the basics that will transform everything you do from here out. Dave covers his Baby Step plan in-depth, shares testimonies from other people, and teaches you step by step how to set up a cash flow plan and pay off your debt in a way that really works for you. Included in this prize pack: “The Total Money Makeover” book, “Financial Peace Revisited” book, “Cash Flow Planning” DVD, “Dumping Debt” DVD, Starter envelope system.
- Dave Ramsey's “The Total Money Makeover” Book: Dave Ramsey condenses his 17 years of financial teaching and counseling into 7 organized, easy-to-follow steps that will lead you out of debt and into a Total Money Makeover. Plus, you’ll read over 50 real-life stories from people just like you who have followed these principles and are now winning with their money. It is a plan designed for everyone, regardless of income or age.
- J.D. Roth's “Your Money: The Missing Manual” Book: Keeping your financial house in order is more important than ever. But how do you deal with expenses, debt, taxes, and retirement without getting overwhelmed? This book points the way. It's filled with the kind of practical guidance and sound insights that makes J.D. Roth's GetRichSlowly.org a critically acclaimed source of personal-finance advice. You won't find any get-rich-quick schemes here, just sensible advice for getting the most from your money. Even if you have perfect credit and no debt, you'll learn ways to make your rosy financial situation even better.
- Trent Hamm's “The Simple Dollar: How One Man Wiped Out His Debts And Achieved The Life Of His Dreams”: Trent Hamm found himself drowning in consumer debt, working in a job he couldn’t stand… and figured out how to escape that debt and build the fulfilling career he’d always dreamt about, all at the same time. Hamm shared his experiences at TheSimpleDollar.com—and built it into one of America’s top personal finance websites. Now, The Simple Dollar is a book: packed with practical tips, tools, and lessons you can use to transform your life, too.
Perkstreet Financial: No More Creating New Debt With Credit Cards!
If you're trying to get out of debt, Perkstreet Financial can help you in reaching that goal, without creating new debt! That's the reason why Dave Ramsey recommends Perkstreet as his checking account of choice. It's good for those of us who have already paid off their debts as well – in fact, why not take that extra money you'll earn from cash rewards and put it into your Roth IRA or a 6 month emergency fund?
Some of the benefits of an account at Perkstreet:
- Earn 2% cash back on every non-PIN purchases for 3 months after account is opened
- Earn 2% cash back on every non-PIN purchase when your balance is $5,000 or more or earn 1% cash back for balances below $5,000. Either way, you won’t find another bank in America that gives you more rewards on debit.
- Plus, sign up for an account by 11/15/2010 and earn 5% cash back on all non-PIN debit card purchases at the following popular holiday retailers until 12/31/2010:
Best Buy, Gap, Toys R Us, Babies R Us, Kohls, Starbucks, Macys, JC Penney, Sears, Victoria's Secret, Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft, Dick's Sporting Goods, JCrew
That adds up to over $600 in cash back every year for the average American:
How To Enter The Giveaway
You can enter to win one of the four prizes listed above by doing the following things.
- Required to win: Leave a comment on this post telling us what you'll do once you're debt free. If you're already debt free, tell us how good it felt and what debt you paid off last. Also tell us which prize you would like to be entered for. (prize 1-4)
- Facebook – 10 Entries: Become a fan of both Bible Money Matters and Perkstreet Financial on Facebook and share this contest with your friends. Leave us a link to your post in the comments.
- Perkstreet Account – 20 Entries: Sign up for a new account with Perkstreet Financial, and email me to let me know about it to get extra entries!
- Twitter – 10 Entries: Follow both @perkstreet and @moneymatters on Twitter, and then tweet about the contest using the tweet below.
Example Tweet: Dumping Debt & Building Wealth Giveaway: Win 1 of 4 great prizes from @moneymatters and @perkstreet Enter here: http://bit.ly/bnWHPo
Contestants will be put in four prize groups based on the prize they designate in the comments. Entries will be totaled and a winner from each group will be randomly selected using Random.org. Contest open to US Residents only. Contest ends October 29th, 2010 at 12:00 PM (noon) CST. Good luck.