How To Check The Status Of Your Federal And State Income Tax Return

If you’re one of those folks who have a simple tax situation and have already filed your tax returns,  you’re likely waiting expectantly  for the government to process your return and send the money you’re owed.

So how can you find out what the status of your tax refund is and when you might get your check?

Continues after Advertisement

If you filed with a software like TurboTax, you’re probably going to hear within a couple of days whether your return was accepted and a refund processed.

If your software doesn’t automatically let you know, however, there are other options for finding out the status of your return.

When Is Information About Your Refund Available?

how to check the status of your tax refund

72  hours after the IRS acknowledges receipt of the return that you e-filed, you can go to the IRS site and check the status of your tax return.  If you filed a paper return you will have to wait up to four weeks.

If you filed right on or a couple of days before tax day you may still have a few days to wait. In any event, you should make sure that you have a copy of your tax return available when checking on your refund, you’ll need information from the return when checking the refund status.

Taxpayer Options For Checking Federal Tax Refund Status

When checking the status of your refund you have a few different options, including some new Iphone and Android apps this year.

  1. Get the new IRS iPhone app called IRS2Go.  It allows Apple enthusiasts to check their refund status wherever they are. Download to itunes here.
  2. Get the new IRS Android app called IRS2Go.  It also allows Android users to check their tax refund status.  Details on the app here.
  3. Go to the IRS website and click on “Where’s My Refund“.   It will ask you for your social security number, your filing status and the refund amount you were expecting.
  4. Call 1-800-829-4477 (24 hours a day, seven days a week for automated refund information)
  5. Call 1-800-829-1954 during the hours shown in your tax form instructions.

What If You Have Moved Or Changed Your Address Since You Filed?

If your refund was returned to the IRS by the U.S. Postal Service you may be able to change the address they have on file for you, online.  The Where’s My Refund? tool will offer this service to you if you’re eligible. If you made a move after you filed your return you were expecting a refund via snail mail, you should file a change of address with the U.S. Postal Services and also send in a copy of  Form 8822, Change of Address to the Internal Revenue Service.

What If Your Refund Wasn’t Sent Because Of An Error On Your Return?

An error in filing your return could result in you not receiving your refund right away.  If when you check you find an error has stopped you from receiving your refund you can correct your return by filing an a Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Once you have done that you should be back on track to receive your refund.

I’m not sure if I’ll be getting a refund or not this year as our situation is a bit complicated. We’ll see once I actually file.  Since I will most likely be using TurboTax to file this year again I’m sure my return was filed and accepted within 24 hours like it was last year.

If you’re expecting a refund e-filing is probably the best route to go.

Taxpayer Options For Checking State Income Tax Refund Status

Each state has a different place to check refund status, while some won’t allow you to do it online. Find your state in the table below to check your refund status.

StateOnline Refund StatusPhone number
ALAlabama Dept. of Revenue800-558-3912
AKAlaska has no personal income tax
AZArizona Dept. of Revenue602-255-3381
ARArkansas Dept. of Finance and Admin.501-324-9057?
CACalifornia Franchise Tax Board800-852-5711
COColorado Dept. of Revenue303-238-3278
CTConnecticut Dept. of Revenue860-297-5962
DEDelaware Dept. of Revenue302-577-8784
FLFlorida Dept. of Revenue850-488-8937
GAGeorgia Dept. of Revenue877-423-6711
HIHawaii Dept. of Taxation808-587-4242
IDIdaho Tax Commission208-334-7660
ILIllinois Dept. of Revenue800-732-8866
INIndiana Dept. of Revenue317-232-2240
IAIowa Dept. of Revenue515-281-4966
KSKansas Dept. of Revenue800-894-0318
KYKentucky Dept. of Revenue502-564-1600
LALouisiana Dept. of Revenue225-219-0102
MEMaine Revenue Services207-626-8475
MDMaryland Comptroller800-218-8160
MAMassachusetts Dept. of Revenue800-392-6089
MIMichigan Dept. of Treasury517-373-3200
MNMinnesota Revenue651-296-3781
MSMississippi Tax Commission601-923-7801
MOMissouri Dept. of Revenue573-526-8299
MTMontana Dept. of Revenue866-859-2254
NENebraska Dept. of Revenue800-742-7474
NVNevada has no personal income tax
NHNew Hampshire has no personal income tax
NJYou must call.800-323-4400
NMNew Mexico Taxation and Revenue505-476-3778
NYNew York Dept. of Taxation and Finance518-457-5149
NCNorth Carolina Dept. of Revenue877-252-4052
NDOffice of State Tax Commissioner701-328-2770
OHOhio Dept. of Taxation Services800-282-1780
OKYou must call.405-521-3160
OROregon Dept. of Revenue503-378-4988
PAPennsylvania Dept. of Revenue Services717-787-8201
RIRhode Island Division of Taxation401-574-8941
SCSouth Carolina Dept. of RevenueFind the phone number here
SDSouth Dakota has no personal income tax
TNTennessee has no personal income tax
TXTexas has no personal income tax
UTUtah Tax Commission801-297-2200
VTVermont Dept. of Taxes802-828-0145
VAVirginia Dept. of Taxation804-367-2486
WAWashington has no personal income tax
WVWest Virginia Dept. of Revenue304-558-3333
WIWisconsin Dept. of Revenue866-947-7363
WYWyoming has no personal income tax

Are you expecting a refund this year?  How much are you getting, and what will you be using the money for?  Have you considered amending your taxes withheld so that you don’t get a refund? Tell us your thoughts in the comments!

Last Edited: 14th January 2014

Related Posts

Share Your Thoughts:

Previous Post:
Next Post: