I was recently on twitter.com and I found a user on there called “Money Confessions“. Basically it is a channel for Geezeo.com, an online personal finance manager, where people who use their service can make confessions about things they've done with their money that they're either ashamed about, or wouldn't tell anyone else.
This twitter channel made me think. Money has a strange effect on people, it makes them happy, it makes them sad. It makes them do things that they would never what anyone else to know, and makes them do things they never thought they would. So what are some of the secrets that people were keeping? Here is a sampling of anonymous confessions found on the Twitter Money confessions:
- I don't know what's worse, being 90 thousand in debt or you finding out that your husband put you in that debt
- Im 23 somehow making 6 figures, cant keep my lifestyle in check. spent about $60k in the past 5 months on cars, home theater, etc.
- My wife always talks about how poor we are. I hate that she thinks that – we have no debt except a mortgage. We have over 65k in savings.
- Ripped through my bonus. No savings. But debt cut in half 50%. Still, I feel guilty
- none of my coworkers or friends know that I'm sitting on $300k of savings at 28 years old
- I use ATM cash like it's candy.
- Every time I build up my savings, I end up doing something stupid requiring me to drain the account, ie tickets, overdrafts etc.
- i have to cut my credit cards to keep from using them, i cant just keep them in the drawer
- I've already spent my tax refund and I'm not sure how much I'm getting back yet.
- i love the feeling of saving money, but i love the feeling of spending it… i usually like the instant gratification of spending it more!
- I just spent over $1000 on a surprise party for my husband
So have you ever done anything related to money that you're ashamed of? Do you have any money secrets do you keep from your spouse, your friends, or people you know?
Money Confessions on Twitter