Spring is here (or almost here in our case), and its a good time to do a few things around the house to make sure that you're not paying for costly repairs down the road. According to Home-smart.org, here are a few preventative maintenance tasks you can do this month to make sure your house is in good condition:
- Check and clean mechanical ventilation system (HRV/ERV). Check your manual and follow manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Clean or replace furnace filter.
- Clean snow from air intakes, exhausts and meters.
- Remove excess snow from roof to prevent ice dams.
- Check gutters and downspouts and clean if needed.
- Inspect basement/crawl space for seepage/leakage.
- Do safety checks: smoke detectors, fire escape routes, fire extinguisher, carbon monoxide alarms, door and window locks.
- Check and repair any damaged screens.
- Adjust thermostat for season change.
- Observe humidity levels and adjust the setting on the humidistat or air exchanger controller as needed to eliminate condensation or frost on windows.
http://www.home-smart.org is full of great tips and step-by-step tutorials on how to do these things, and more. Check it out today and get working!
Do you have tips to help get your house in tip top shape this spring? Let us know in the comments!