A week or two ago I posted on this site about a contest that was being run in a partnership by two of my favorite financial companies, Perkstreet Financial Rewards Checking and Lending Club. Basically the idea behind the contest is to promote the use of cash, and getting out of debt. To do that, they wanted people to put together short videos showing them shredding their credit cards.
I'm happy to report in the first few weeks of the contest Bible Money Matters readers have already won the weekly $50 prize in the contest for the best video twice! The first winner we posted on the site last week here, showing the blender destruction of that user's credit card.
This past week I was notified that another reader had won, David Speake, so head on over to ShredYourCreditCard.com to view his video, and submit your own!
Video Submission Guidelines Relaxed
Over the past couple of weeks I know we've heard some complaints about the contest from some readers because they no longer had credit cards to shred, and couldn't enter the contest. Well you're in luck. The contest has been opened up to everyone now. From Perkstreet:
Please let your readers know that we are not just accepting videos of credit card shreds anymore. We are also accepting videos of people talking about their journey to becoming debt-free, a video of cutting up a credit card application they received in the mail, and everything in between.
So there you have it. All you debt free non credit card using folks can now enter the contest as well! Plus your odds of winning are actually very good – 2 of our readers have already won! Just head on over to ShredYourCreditCard.com to upload your video, and don't forget to mention that you saw the contest here!
It's been a while since I did a roundup, so here's a few of my favorite articles of the week.
- Brace Yourself for $5-per-Gallon Gas: Whenever I hear about $5 gas, or how the cost of necessities are going to rise drastically in the next few years, I tend to dismiss them a bit. This time, however, it seems more plausible. Scary stuff.
- Tax Filing Deadline Extended To April 18th For Filing 2010 Taxes In 2011: If you're one of those folks who take forever to file your taxes, you're in luck! You have until April 18th to file this year, and January 18th to send in estimated tax payments!
- How Can I Make Money With My Blog? 10 Monetization Strategies For Bloggers: I've soft launched my website about blogging, and I'm slowly building up content over there. Check out one of my first posts!
- 4 Overlooked Opportunities of the Baby Boomer Bomb: Usually when talking about the baby boomers retiring, it isn't a pleasant subject. This post looks on the bright side.
- 12 Personal Finance Blogs To Get You Out Of Debt: I was chosen by Lending Club as one of 12 personal finance blogs to help people get out of debt. They said, “These 12 blogs stand out as extraordinary resources to help you out of debt by providing timely, relevant and useful content and tools to get you ahead.” Thanks guys, I appreciate it!
- Kinect Sports: Another Kinect Video Game That Will Give You A Workout: Looking to lose weight for the new year, and like playing video games? Check out the Kinect!
Best Of The Rest
- Does This Count As Market Timing?
- 30 Things Broke People Say
- 400,000 Miles? No Problem. How Driving a Tank Can Make You a Millionaire
- Bill Paying Strategies to Help Find Your Spending Balance
- Consumerism and Dancing
- Vagabonding 101: Everything You Need to Know to Travel the World
- 10 Best Part Time Jobs with Benefits
- 7 High-Deductible Health Plan Questions
- My 2010 Couch Potato Investment Return
- What is Private Mortgage Insurance and How Do You Eliminate It?
- Now Every Stamp is a Forever Stamp
- Congress Can’t Beat The Market, Even When It Cheat
- How to Create SMART Financial Goals Part I – Be Specific
- How to Recharacterize Your Roth IRA Conversion…and Why