Staff Writer Guidelines
Here are some best practices and guidelines for all staff writers.
- The article must be your original content, not published anywhere before.
- Topics: The article should seek to help readers or answer questions. As such articles that start with “How To”, “What Is”, “Should I”, “Top XX”, “Introduction to”, “Best…”, etc. are preferred. Writer can choose their own topic, but are encouraged to also review the list of recommended topics below.
- Links: You may link to any relevant articles, resource or site as you see fit. However, you should try to link to relevant articles on Bible Money Matters first. The editor reserves the right to modify links as needed.
- Content Style: Content should be more tutorial style with personal spin, as opposed to diary style.
- Length: Article should be at least 500 words, no maximum — 800-1500 word articles are best. The main goal is to make your point in a clear and concise manner.
- Frequency: There are no minimum or maximum requirements.
- Submission: Writers must submit articles directly in WordPress. The article should be properly formatted with headings (all uppercase) and links. Articles must be tagged with keywords, and proper category must be selected (select only 1 or 2 categories).
- Photo: I’ll take care of all photos. If you have a specific one you’d like included, please remember that the main photo should be 620 wide.
- Deadline: No deadlines. Writer can submit articles for review at any time.
- Promotion: Writers are encouraged to promote their articles on social media sites, as well as link to their prior articles to maximize pageviews.
Staff Writer Post Topics
This page lists categories of topics (and example topics) I’d like staff writers to write about in addition to the topics they come up with on their own.
- Retirement Topics: Roth IRAs, Traditional IRAs, 401k, Roth IRA Conversion
- Tax Topics: Home Improvement Tax Credits, Tax deductions, Tax Rebates, Government programs, tax credits, ways to save, tips for filing
- Bank Account Reviews: Bank account reviews, tips on how to find good rates
- Real Estate & Mortgages: Refinancing, government refinance or modification programs, tips to sell a home, closing on a home, fees to expect as a homeowner
- Getting out of debt: Program reviews on Dave Ramsey’s program, Crown financial program, Other ways to get out of debt
- Budgeting: Budgeting topics,
- Reviews: Bank account reviews, software reviews, etc. Ones that have affiliate programs encouraged as well.
- How To Tutorials: Articles explaining how to do things like get free cable tv, sign up for a brokerage account, or find a good deal on electronics.