My wife and I returned from our weekend in the Brainerd Lakes area yesterday afternoon. We had a wonderful time in Crosslake, MN at the Whitefish Lodge and Suites. The hotel was brand new, beautiful, and our room was gorgeous!
When we first checked in we did have a bit of a problem. Originally we were supposed to have gone on this trip several weeks ago, but the weekend of our anniversary my grandmother passed away. We had to move the trip back a few weeks until this past weekend. The problem was that the person scheduling our room didn’t do it right, and not only was our original booking canceled, our trip this weekend was canceled as well. So when we showed up on Friday – we didn’t have a room!
After talking with them in stern tones for several minutes the girl at the front desk called the manager, and they were able to find a queen suite for us to stay in. It was a downgrade from the king whirlpool suite that we had booked and already paid for, so we weren’t exactly excited about that. They assured us that we would have the whirlpool suite the next night. Then they announced that our first night at the hotel would be on the house because of them mix-up. We were more than happy with the compromise because it ended up saving us $120. Not a bad deal, huh?
We checked into our room, and were delighted with the beautiful decorating, basket of freebies, and beautiful golf-course views we had out of our window. After we settled in we headed out to eat dinner at a local restaurant on the water. We had a great dinner – and enjoyed this beautiful sunset seen below.
Over the next day and a half we explored the local towns, did some shopping, ate at a bunch of local eateries and just sat back and relaxed. All in all not a bad trip! Here we are being silly tourists - having our picture taken at Paul Bunyan Land – next to the statue of Babe the Blue Ox.
And now – here is some good reading I missed while I was gone – be sure to check it out!
- When to talk about finances with your significant other? @ sensetosave.com
- Ten Ways to Simplify Your Life @ remodelingthislife.com
- Hank’s Holiday Handout #3! M.I.B Is Giving Away $300 And It Is EASY To Enter! @ Myinvestingblog.com
- Festive Link Love Carnivality #17 @ freefrombroke.com
- Give the gift of stock @ milkyourmoney.com
- 5 Questions With The Money Life Network Members: Sense to Save @ ptmoney.com
- Lies, Money and Marriage. What can you do? @ gatherlittlebylittle.com
- The Bible and Debt @ Christianpf.com
- Is it more important to be rich, or to be happy? @ Getrichslowly.com
- Make it do! @ financefreelancelife.com
So there you go – get reading! Here’s a few of my more popular posts from last week, if you haven’t read them yet, please do!
- My post was featured on MSN Smart Spending this weekend: Credit Card Rewards – Are they really worth it?
- Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University talks about insurance
- Guest Post: Help Those Less Fortunate — And Make Money — With Microloans
- Do you really NEED it? Or just want it?
- How rich are you?
Thanks for stopping by! Check in tomorrow for more great content!
Last Edited: 26th February 2011